Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Every Pit has a purpose...

I think out of the 30 years (almost) that I have lived, these last two months have been the toughest. I think I can honestly say that it hasn't been just one wrecking ball, but multiple. I have rephrased the saying "when it rains, it pours" to "when it rains, it tsunamis". These months have been tough. Honestly, I have cried more than I have ever had in my life, wrestled with myself, wrestled with God, sought my own results, and finally came to the point of being poured out as a drink offering to God and submitting to Him. This IS definitely the deepest pit that I have been in. I am well acquainted with it's walls, it's rules, and it's darkness. I would be lying to you if I said that giving up didn't run constantly through my head at certain times. In saying all of this, I have concluded to one thing: "Every pit has a purpose." 

     My pit, though very hard and deep, has a purpose. So far, it's purpose has been extraordinary. Up until the last few months, I lived for myself and stamping God's approval on everything that I did for Him after I did it (without His input). I never asked, I just did and stamped. I lived in pride, arrogance, jealousy, and my walk of faith was limited to what I can see ahead of me. I never really knew how to cry for me and others, show compassion, and forgive....until (humbly saying this before God) now. My pit was to strip everything that I laid confidence in, so that God can show me what a true relationship with Jesus looks like. Let me first say, I STILL DO NOT HAVE IT ALL TOGETHER, but I have changed deeply..spiritually. Jesus is now my #1. I am now understanding that to live and be passionate for Him means that I have to be lovesick for Him. Within this lovesick lifestyle, things begin to change. Things that are hard to change about myself become easier. Things that I couldn't let go leave with no trouble. I can cry for people without feeling that I am losing a sense of dignity or manhood inside of me. I can and do forgive those who in my flesh I would deem as not deserving forgiveness. I have compassion, love, passion for people that I really didn't have. I know this is shocking for some of you, but it is to me as well. I thought I knew how to "walk the journey" with Jesus, but it took a pit to get me looking up. It is taking a pit to get me to reach up and depend on Christ. I still struggle, but the pit has a purpose. It is to take you to a new pasture (psalm 23) that you couldn't have reached in your current state. Your pit will come. So, I encourage you as myself to focus on above, to reach up, and to not lose hope in Christ. Though your circumstances may never totally change or you feel that life is a wreck, keep looking and reaching toward Jesus. He will give you a new song, a unique song. He will wipe the mud off and plant you on display to reveal His love and glory. Take hope and stand firm in the love of Christ. You will find yourself responding to situations, people, and circumstances in a different way. Much love in Him ~ cham.

Psalm 40:1-3
I waited patiently for the Lord to help me,
      and he turned to me and heard my cry.
 2 He lifted me out of the pit of despair,
      out of the mud and the mire.
   He set my feet on solid ground
      and steadied me as I walked along.
 3 He has given me a new song to sing,
      a hymn of praise to our God.
   Many will see what he has done and be amazed.
      They will put their trust in the Lord.






1 Comment:

  1. Keysha said...
    Cham - your blog sounds a lot like my journal from 2003 and a series of devotional emails I sent to friends over a number of months. Psalm 40 is still my life verse after my divorce...after learning I never had lost my true Love - that Jesus was there all of the time. He did lift me out of the miry clay - in phases and over time set my feet upon a rock (his word) and most importantly...put a new song of praise in my mouth that others may see and know the Lord. Praying you continue to dwell in the sweetness of Him in midst of the pain that I know hurts so much. Your sister in Christ - Keysha.

Post a Comment