Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Clutter...

I have...

missed out on the simple things in life. I came to this realization one morning when the sunrise, with its red and golden train, poured into my room. It was 6:00 am, but the colors were so beautiful I just had to pop up and see it. I made some coffee, starbucks verona, and headed outside to see the show. After the morning carried on, I began to think how I have missed out on so many little things that are huge. I guess what I am really trying to say is that I forgot how simple things and being able to enjoy them are worth far more than "stuff" or ___________(fill in the blank the trinkets of your choice). Somewhere along the way, I felt like I had to "add to" the moments, situation, and encounters. If I was going to go eat with some people, then it had to be the greatest food. If I was going to watch a movie, then it had to be at the best theater. If I was going to "hang" with people, then it had to be the people that I clicked with the best. Don't get me wrong, those things, in there proper place, are not bad. I just made them bad, because I am sinful. I put them in a different priority. 
     The other day while I was on facebook, I noticed some pictures from a friend and caught myself envying. I envied there ability to take the simple things (such as a sunset, a cup of coffee, a few friends, etc) and enjoy the heck out of it (that is my theological phrase for today). They looked so happy, so full of joy in the moment. Then I remember how I was once that way. I now am pursuing to get back to the basics in my life. I want to enjoy those things. Again, things or material possessions are not a bad thing, as long as they are in the proper place. For me, it became the clutter in my life that kept the beautiful sunset from being enjoyed. They robbed me of the time to sit and chill and ultimately go "wow...this is awesome!"
     So I now love the simple things and re-prioritize the other stuff. Laughs at a buck theater, quoting movies at a friends house, conversations over a cup of java, and random adventures are more valuable to me now because I am learning to drain every last drop of enjoyment out of them. My daily life is back on track. ~Cham 

Ps. Shout out to the book of James for straightening me out. 

1 Comment:

  1. Weems World said...
    Cham-I am super excited for you as you venture out to Seattle-it is close to my heart:)
    and you know-even though you are a southern boy-you always have reminded me of a seattle-ite!
    ie.), birks, coffee, rain, glasses.
    You will do great-because God is in it!!!

Post a Comment