Friday, August 8, 2008

So I was thinking about Noah...

God called him to do some crazy things. First off, he was asked to build a stinkin' beast of a ship. Ok, let's footnote some things here. Noah was told that the world was evil and will be destroyed and he and the FAM will be the only survivors. Then God gave the forecast for the next 40 days...rain. Rain? Big deal. It was a big deal...correct me if I am wrong, but there wasn't rain during that time. Don't ask me actually how water traveled inland, but I want to say that rain, especially a monsoon was unthinkable. (Again, I am rethinking this story, it has been a few months since I have read it.) Noah was also told to turn the ark into National Geographic's Wild Kingdom. Then He was told to tell everybody what is to come in a few years after this thing was built. I can imagine when God unfolded this plan to Noah, it was mind-boggling. "God, what is coming? I am suppose to build a what? Pairs of what are coming?"I can imagine those questions might have ran through his head. Then the ultimate..."tell everybody about what?" Geez, some very tough things to be asked to do. Of course if you read the story, Noah obeyed despite mockery, weirdness, and uncertainty. I think we can all relate to this, hopefully. I find myself in situations in my life that God ask me to do something quite opposite of what I am feeling, thinking, and ultimately what others would suggest to do. You go through those times of questions, bizarre uncertainty, and even ridicule. "You want me to do what, God" is usually what we are thinking (be honest). I think the big picture is that Noah, despite the complete craziness of what God was asking, followed through and ultimately took part in a purpose beyond His on expectation. He probably wasn't really focused on being the sole survivors of the world when he was throwing some tar and pitch on the hull of a massive wooden titanic. He probably didn't see the ultimately goal of God's redeeming grace and he held up his blistered hands proclaiming to the people of the land to repent. He was called to go beyond the normal. He was called to obey God's calling or request no matter what he looked like before his people. I have walked through that same principle. I think we all have or will eventually. God will bring you to a place or situation where He calls you to respond differently to what we are feeling or what others suggest. Doesn't He want us to be uncomfortable? Only if it changes your character to make you more like Him. My encouragement is to follow through, even though you can't see past the hull of a half built ship. God is not up there looking to embarrass you for His on benefit. He is working on your life and ultimately fulfilling His purpose. If it wasn't for Noah's response, the world would be a little empty right now. What has God asked you to do lately? How are you responding? You are usually asked in a difficult situation.

Anything I would give up for you
Everything, I'd give it all away 
I was made to love you
I was made to adore you, made just for you
~ Toby Mac

1 Comment:

  1. Meagan said...
    Thanks Cham I'd have to say well put, we all go through things and being human we make it all about ourselves, but when we stop to think about it, it's never been about us it about how he is molding us and changing us for his glory not our own..Belive me when I say I try to put up a fight and sometimes he just has to knock me back down a step or two.Not sure if you remember me but I graduated with Skeen...Love your blogs and God Bless.

Post a Comment