Monday, August 18, 2008

The Commons


Im am not..
in the south anymore. I have been in Seattle (Arlington District) for the last few days. As mentioned in my previous blog, I am here serving for two weeks at my friend's church plant called "The Commons". The places around here are beautiful. I have the city 20 minutes south and the mountains and forest very very close, but more on that later. I really want to share my "so far" experience. I am not in the south. What do you mean? Just what I said, I am not in the south. The Northwest is a different place from the south culturally speaking. The people are nice with different social standards, but incredibly down to earth. Staying in Arlington, I am meeting more of your typical people who are just plain (not a dis, just description) than the "urbanites" that most of us probably picture when we think Seattle. We call the locals Northwesterners'. They are laid back, loving the outdoors, and really have nothing to prove or impress to others. I think the most awaking moments have been with Tim's (my friend) story telling of his encountering conversations with these people. 
     You see, unlike the South, the Northwestern culture doesn't have a cultural standard that everybody goes to church..even on Easter. In fact, most people do not attend a church, but barely enough know anything about God, Jesus, or the Bible. Tim told me that he had one conversation with a lady who didn't know anything about Jesus. Well...seeing is believing. We were setting up for "The Commons" yesterday. It was early, 7:30am. We picking things up, setting up the room, and creating a great atmosphere for people to come and learn and meet Christ. In the midst of this setting up, a lady named "Joyce" struck up a conversation with Tim and a few others. She was Tim's neighbor and one of the first who had become a consistent attender at The Commons. Well her question was this..."How do we do baptism here at the commons?" Pretty easy and plain question, but the follow up got me. She said, "I have only seen sprinkling in a Catholic Church, so do we do that?" Tim replied, "No. We baptize through immersion." "What's that", Joyce asked. Tim described it as pretty much dunking a person under. Joyce in disbelief said, "Really? I have only seen something like that on O' Brother, Where are thou? ( A movie)" Then Joyce asked more questions, "Where do we do it? Is the water cold? Why fully dunked?" Can we say that I just woke up to the realization that people in this area truly are not aware of Jesus, the Bible, and Church. It was incredible and woo'd my heart. You didn't have the southern bible-belt to deal with at all. Genuine people who have no clue about Christ. Think of the possibilities. No southern fluff, no I can quote you the bible all the way through but still live opposite of it, no I am saved because my cat is a deacon. Just real people, real lives, real issues, and a real not knowing who Jesus is and what the Bible says. WOW!!!! Tim even told me that there was one guy who didn't even know what John 3:16 is. He could kind of quote it, but didn't know the reference or the full verse. You are not a southerner if you can't quote that verse. Maybe, just maybe, we might need to rethink our pursuit for global missions (I love global missions so don't misunderstand what I am saying) and put just as much emphasis in our homeland..especially the the Northwest. To be cont'd.....


2 Comments:

  1. Brittany said...
    Cham.... I knew Seattle would strike your fancy! Are you having your stuff shipped up there yet? We'll probably never see you again! Did you get to meet my fabulous friend Becky????! I love her!
    Anonymous said...
    my folks live way north of there in Bellingham and they love not being in the south anymore esp dealing with Louisiana heat during the summer, the winter is tough but they love it and all the scenery. We went two years ago and were absolutely amazed, not to the point of moving there but still no doubt amazed!

Post a Comment