Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Seattle..I am learning..

I am not sure...

where I am going with this or where I am going to end. So, let's just walk together and see where this ends up. As you should know, I have been in Seattle for two weeks. It has been an incredible & fast track journey. I came with the expectation of just serving my friend & his church plant that he started in Arlington, Wa. I think God intended a whole lot more. I have been exposed to something new...a people group or an area of people who truly are foreign to who Jesus is and what He has done for us all. Sure, there are some believers around, and pretty much everybody has their version of what goodness or god is needed to get to Heaven.  The majority do not have a clear view of the truth of the gospel. Like it is foreign to them! The conversations that I have had with the locals have been constantly repeating in my head. It makes me reTHINK of life, priorities, and my dash (not to get cliche'). Growing in the bible belt has kind of spoiled me as a believer and as a minister. Everybody and there dog know the basics of the bible, in fact, I think it is safe to say that someone who is not a believer in the south could lead another unbeliever to salvation due to the cultural influence of the bible belt. Actually I know this for a fact because I have done it. For us "bible belters", we are with in 1 or 2 people who know basic bible knowledge. I am not saying everybody is saved in the south, just influenced. The point that I am trying to make is that I am experiencing a different type of ministry out here in the Northwest. People are nice and respectful, but have the slightest clue about Jesus and my heart breaks. God has definitely taught me a lot and makes me wonder. I have a feeling that this is not the last time I will see Arlington or the people, in fact my heart knows this. So, God is preparing, has been preparing for..something...and it is becoming more and more defined. I look back at the circumstances that I have walked through in the last couple of years to see that God was using that as a platform of preparation and molding. Moses experienced this same thing. He went through some crazy times and situations that left him feeling abandoned..alone. I think it was God's way of saying, "be still and know..let me work". Moses killed an egyptian out of anger only to retreat back in the wilderness again out of fear of being killed by Pharaoh. God used the situation and time to work on Him. It wasn't in vane. It was purpose. It was reconstructing. It was vision and preparation for what is to come. I relate. Maybe you can too... Listen: I am not going to give you a "life is to short" spill, but I am going to say that time moves quick..and regret is slow and long. So, look around. Why does God have you where you are? Have you asked Him that? Where is He taking you? Have you asked? Who knows, when you stop seeing things your own way and begin to clearly see through Him, you may find yourself  doing things different, going somewhere different, & impacting others different. Not sure if any of this made sense or hit home. It is too late for me to proof, so it is what it is. much love ~cham

2 Comments:

  1. Lauren said...
    It IS amazing what God does when you change your priorities to align with His. I'm going through Experiencing God with 3 amazing girls, and He's already shown up, given us new desires, and renewed the joy we receive through our love relationship with Him. I'm excited and encouraged to see that He's doing the same in the life of a friend!

    For His glory,
    LEW
    Isa. 42:6
    Anonymous said...
    I love the Pacific Northwest and never thought i would see it until my parents moved from South Louisiana to Bellingham, about an hour north of Arlington. I totally understand you point of view which is what (through a friend) led us to become missionaries to Guatemala! I appreciate your willingness to be used by God in all your situations, understand how different the culture you grew up in is from everywhere else and look forward to what God is doing and is going to do in your life.
    Peace of Christ to You

Post a Comment